Saturday, August 30, 2008

Moving Along (SD)

If you can't tell, I have internet access right now, so I'm trying to get all my blogging in about the past few days.

I left Minneapolis around 10am this morning, winding my way down through Minnesota. 169 South is a highway but every 20 miles or so it slows down to a stop to let people on and off. Suffice it to say, it was a slow drive. Three hours later, however, I hit 90w (yes, the same road I've been on since Massachusetts) and entered South Dakota. I had been warned that this was going to be a brutally boring drive, but I was actually blown away.

South Dakota isn't quite flat. It's rolling hills that extend forever in all directions. So far, in fact, that the wind rushes at full force across them. Everywhere I looked there were sunflowers and hay bales and cows. The speed limit was 75 but few were speeding as the wind pushed the car gently to the right (north, i guess?). Every so often, you could hear the wind go under and through the tires; loose wisps of hay spun across the highway and over the car. I certainly felt like I was in the center of the country, no ocean in sight. Dave and Alicia had recommended that I take a break in Chamberlain by the Missouri River. It was well worth it. After seeing nothing but land land land, it was crazy to see this giant river.

Even if I had to contend with this:




Four more hours of driving went by surprisingly fast (good music helps), and next thing I knew there were boulders emerging from the ground. I had hit the badlands. I took sneak peak and will explore them for real tomorrow.



Tonight, I'm in Wall, South Dakota watching Blazing Saddles. Tomorrow night, I'm in a cabin in the park. I think that will round out the experience.

Here's what I call "motel at sunset." Jen, I wish you were here to take photos. Mine just don't do it justice.

Lots of love everyone. I miss you.

Love, Tamara

No comments: