Sunday, August 31, 2008

The BL


Written 8/31/08
Hello from a little cabin in the badlands. I left wall around 10 this morning and drove the 10 miles to the park entrance. From there it's an hour long drive to go through the park. It's pretty incredible here. A lot like the desert. In fact, the two places it reminds me of are the Negev in Israel and Red Rock Canyon in Nevada. There are cacti here and the ground is sandy and rocky. I spent most of the day driving around, feeling like a wuss because I was too scared of heights to walk out onto the rocks. Between the wind and the height (and the people looking) I just couldn't do it. A few miles later, however, I hit a back country hike that was actually down on the ground. I was woefully unprepared in some respects, (it was only after I had hiked in for 15 minutes or so and realized that there was NO one else for miles that I decided the first aid kit or more water would be useful), and I certainly discovered that at the end of the day I'm a city girl, but the hike was incredible. The only other person I saw the whole time was up high on a rock in the distance. The sun was shining (I think it's close to 100 here today), there was a strong breeze, and the clouds streaked across the sky. It was me and the boulders and the rock and... the rattlesnakes. Every time I walked through tall grass I heard rattling. I'm not lying. Forget the Maine rattler; this one's for real. I was proud of myself for doing the hike and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I have to say I was certainly grateful to see cars again when I got back. I can't do alone in the middle of nowhere for too long. It freaks me out.

The loop ends at the ranger station and there I found out that there's a powwow going on tonight not far from here. I'm a little intimidated by the drive home in the pitch black but the ranger assured me I would be ok so I'm going to hit it up.

I have more photos but think that I will upload them on flickr and then post the link.

Lots of love,
Tamara

No comments: