Tuesday, September 23, 2008

woo hoo


9/22/08
OK. Utah might just be the coolest state (to visit.)

Despite being completely bitten up by some yet unknown insect, (My arms, neck, and back are covered in little tiny very very itchy bites), I’ve had an amazing couple days. Utah just keeps changing on me. Everywhere I go I see something different.

Zion was lush with high high sandstone cliffs. They were created by 3000 ft high sand dunes millions of years ago. The valley was carved out by what is now (it might be bigger in other seasons…) a small stream called the Virgin River. Parts of the park are lush with green trees, dripping water, and hanging gardens. The cliffs tower above you, casting shadows on each other and the ground.

I woke up early on Sunday for my horse back ride. When I got to the park, I could still see the moon in the sky. There were only 3 of us (including the guide) on the ride, and everyone was quite familiar with horses, so just enjoyed eachothers company and the scenery as we crossed the Virgin River and climbed up through the valley. Lovely to be back on a horse and experience the park that way.

Then I set up camp and headed back out to hike the Narrows. If anyone has a chance to go to Zion, do not miss this hike. The full thing is 16 miles but I only had a few hours so I joined the crowd in taking the easy way out. Tons of people hike the riverside walk, which winds next to the river. Sandstone cliffs tower on either side of you. After a mile, the space between the cliffs gets so narrow that the walk ends. From then on, if you want to continue you have to enter the river. I picked up a walking stick, felt grateful for my chacos (most people were either barefoot or getting their shoes soaked.), and plunged in. It was so much fun. There were people swimming. It was tempting but I had my camera in my bag so I kept on walking. For a while there, I led the pack of a couple german hipsters wearing their vans and chucks in the water. Next time, I’m hiking the whole thing. This time, I probably didn’t even go a mile before my stomach started grumbling, and I realized time was getting way from me.

I camped that night. Hooked up my laptop and watched True Love before I went to sleep (yes, this is how I camp), then woke up early this morning to drive the 5 hours to Arches. The drive took me up over mountains and through the desert. It was incredible. Bizarre rock formations on either side of the highway and into the distance. Everything looked flat but really there were continuous peaks and valleys. (I could tell from the car straining it’s engine and make it’s way up and down the highway.) And then you get off the highway, drive for a while, and there’s a small unassuming sign that says “arches national park.” Well, arches was amazing. You climb high up onto the top of the canyon and there is glowing red rock formations everywhere you look. The mountains are in the distance; in front of them are miles and miles of canyons and desert.

By the time I arrived at arches it was late afternoon so I only had chance to get in one hike. It wasn’t that long a hike (2 milesish each way) but I was so proud of myself because I totally pushed through my fear of heights. For most of the hike, you’re scrambling and walking over slick rock, sometimes with drop offs on either side. There were a couple moments when I paused, thinking I couldn’t go on, but then I sat down, thought about it and plunged through. Totally worth it. I saw three arches, each delicate and different. The views of and through them to the valley and the rock formations and the mountains in the distance were unreal. Not bad. By the end of the hike, rain clouds had swept over the sky and I only made a few more stops before heading to Moab for dinner.

And that was my day. It’s been pretty fantastic. Denver tomorrow.

Love, Tamara

1 comment:

Steph H said...

I'm so glad you had such a good experience at the National parks. And I'm SO proud of you for camping by yourself and conquering all your fears! You're my hero!