Friday, September 5, 2008

From Portland to Portland

Well I made it all the way West. I’m in Portland, Oregon, staying with Sue, her future husband (to be married tomorrow) and our old friend, Tine. Sue and Tine were au pairs of mine when I was 5 and 6, respectively. Before last night, Sue and I hadn't seen each other for about 20 years.

The drive out here was long. The beginning was beautiful as I wound through National Forests in Montana and Idaho, driving up and down and around mountain passes. Especially in Montana, I drove slowly trying to take it all in. When I crossed over the border and left the mountains behind, I truly felt sad. I had good reason to, as well, as I soon found out. Eastern Washington state is a barren wasteland. I am sorry if anyone reading this is from there or loves it over there, but your state is brutal. The license plates all have these pretty mountains on it, but the majority of the state is brown and flat and never ending. After driving through it for hours, I got lost in the tri-cities, got help from a very nice lady at the Exxon Station (she even wrote down directions) and three hours later made it into Portland. About an hour or so outside Portland, Oregon blossoms into a green oasis. I got off the highway after Cascade Locks to see Multnomah Falls but really that was my only break. I think the trip was over 9 hours. As I said, it was LONG.

But it’s good to be here. Good to see everyone. I had a lovely time last night meeting Sue’s friends and hanging out talking until late. Today we headed into the city to see the rose gardens. They are incredible. More roses in one spot than I've ever seen. The park is up in the hills; it feels like you're in a tree fort overlooking downtown and Mount Hood. Just gorgeous.

Tonight we go to the rehearsal dinner and tomorrow is the wedding. On Sunday, I meet Darcy in Seattle and we drive down the coast. I've been getting suggestions of things to do right and left. It's going to be a fabulous next couple days.

I haven't done it yet but I will be adding photos to flickr soon. Multnomah Falls, the rose garden, and some more of Montana.

Lots of love, Tamara

No comments: