Sunday, September 28, 2008

Making My Way

Happy Birthday to Mum and to Dina!

Well, I’ve come through the mountains and emerged in the Midwest. Aside from a little altitude sickness (and a lot of itching) the drive into Denver was magnificent. I-70 turned into a small winding highway, as it passed through the mountains. I think I have now been to all the wealthiest skiing locations in the country: Jackson Hole, Tahoe, Park City, and now Vale. Am I missing anything?

Denver was a bigger city than I expected. As you come down through the mountains it stretches out in all directions in front of you. After being in rural areas in the West for so long, it was a little bizarre to see a city with suburbs again. I spent the night at Abby’s apartment. It was great to catch up but that was really the highlight of my time in Colorado.

Most of the rest of the time was spent trying to figure out what had bitten me up in Salt Lake City and trying to make sure whatever it is was out of my car. Scabies? Bedbugs? Fleas? Spiders? None was or is pleasant. I had a bit of a breakdown as I washed all of my clothes, vacuumed out the car, and decluttered. I can’t say that I have happy memories of driving around in circles, lost in Boulder. I’m just praying that anything that possibly hitchhiked with me from Salt Lake is now dead. And I’m happy to report that the itching has since subsided and no more bites have been found… Let’s cross our fingers, shall we, that this is the end of it

Things have been on an upswing since moving on to St. Louis. The drive proved to me that I’m back in the Midwest. From Denver east it was all fields, fields, and more fields. Considering Denver is the mile high city, I was a little confused as to how we dropped down out of the mountains. It wasn’t like I was driving steadily downhill. Instead, everything just flattened out. Maybe it’s just super gradual?

I arrived here just in time to head out to Busch Stadium for the Cardinals game. Pujols got a home run and the cards won in the bottom of the 9th. Yes, I know it doesn’t count anymore, but it was still fun to go to a game. It’s been a relaxing few days with the Shenkers. I’m here through Rosh Hashana and then I start my way back to Maine and NY.

I have to say… after all the mess with the bites, I’m looking forward to being in one place again. It’s certainly been one hell of a ride.

Lots of love,
Tamara

No comments: