Monday, October 6, 2008

The End?

So I made it back to Maine.

St. Louis was filled with family and food. It was a much needed 5 days of relaxation; I dug deep into a book and even got some work done. Rachel and Russell and Janice and Mitch kept me entertained. We visited the zoo (penguins and puffins don't look nearly as similar as I had thought they would), spent an afternoon at the city wine festival, watched the Illini game (there were more people in that stadium than live in Portland, Maine), and made it to synagogue for Rosh Hashana. And then on Wednesday afternoon I set off again. This time I had three days of driving ahead of me before getting back to the East Coast. It really felt like the end of my trip.

Night one was spent in Columbus with Laura and Lee (oh those YES Ambassadors; they pop up everywhere.) They managed to convince me of the merits of Ohio, quite an accomplishment considering the unending boredom of HW 70. Their neighborhood in Columbus is filled with small houses and beautiful big trees. Bike paths run along the river and through Ohio State's campus. It was a whirlwind visit filled with learning to juggle and lots of talk on religions and zombies (two very important topics.)

I woke up the next morning, and 5 1/2 hours later I was in Buffalo. Maggie's parents took good care of me. When I woke up the next morning the thought of another 9 hours of driving didn't look so appealing. Apparently, my car agreed; it refused to start up. And no, I hadn't left the lights on. We jumped it. It made the drive beautifully and it is currently sitting in Saturn's service department. Let's all cross our fingers that it was just time for a new battery.

So now I'm back in Maine. The leaves are all turning a brilliant red and yellow and orange. Joel and Kelly had a lovely lovely wedding. And I've already hit up the regular bars and breakfast places. It has been so wonderful to catch up with friends but certainly difficult to know that in a couple days I'm turning around and saying a hard goodbye. I leave Portland on Wednesday to return to NY. On October 20th, I head down under.

If folks are interested, I'll try to update the blog now and then, but my life will certainly be more routine from now on. Let me know what you think.

Oh, and I have more photos posted to flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamgh654/sets/72157607063780298/

Lots of love,
Tamara

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, of course we want to know what you are doing down under!! And photos are always nice too. I think blogs are neat. Though I didn't always have the time to read where you were 'on time', I was able to go back are read about the great adventures you had and the beautiful lands you visited. Who wouldn't want to do that!
xo
Jen

Steph H said...

it's the day to day that makes life interesting. Keep blogging!